Friday, June 29, 2012

Ante-Bellum New Orleans


Come on and take a trip down to New Orleans
When life was rich, though the Massah might be mean
We could dance the baboula at the ball of the quadroon
We could jump around naked 'neath the Voodoo Moon


     That's when I want to be American
     To be American through and through
     Let the chains and the lash
     Turn me red, black and blue
     Let me feel American through and through


Back in the times before the blues was blue
Way before the Civil War was through
Way way before Storyville
When all that jazz would come along
I want to know how it felt
To be dark and smart and strong


     That's when I want to be American
     To be American through and through
     Though the chains and the lash
     Make me red, black and blue
     Got to feel American through and through




Jeff Massanari - electric lap steel guitar; Erik Walker - piano solo; Diesel Cats - ukulele.

No comments: