Friday, June 29, 2012

Shotgun




I am as white as white can be
But I am different from my family tree
Can't bear to know what they might have done
With a black man and a shotgun


     I want to dance
     The black man makes me want to dance
     Give him that shotgun he can make us dance
     He'll make you jump if he gets half a chance


I am nervous and shy as can be
When I am hangin' with a black family
I think they're lookin' at what history's done
They see a black man and a shotgun


     Please make me dance
     Shake my bones with some black romance
     Remake my ancestors to happenstance
     You take the shotgun I just wanna dance


The white can take the black spirit free
He knows just how to turn it into big money
But inside he must be on the run
From a black man and a shotgun


     He'd better dance
     He'd better let the black man make him dance
     Give up his shotgun and his white trance
     He'd better jump if he gets half a chance
     Dance, dance, dance
     Give up that shotgun and dance
     Dance, dance, dance




Jeff Massanari - electric guitar; Bruce Unsworth - tenor and baritone saxophones; Diesl Cats - electric rhythm guitar.

No comments: